Like most Thai food, this gluten free chicken curry is easy to make, bounding with flavor, and dairy free.
Gaeng Kiew Whan Gai (Spicy Green Curry with Chicken)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup gluten-free green curry paste
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or 5 packed teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed eggplant
- 1 kaffir lime leaf thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil plus 2 basil sprigs for garnish
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
Heat the oil in a wok or pot over medium-high heat. Add the green curry paste and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture becomes dry and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, stir to combine, and simmer until the liquid reduces by half, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken and stir, for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir in the chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar. Add the eggplant, reduce the heat, and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the eggplant is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the kaffir lime leaf, chopped basil, and bell pepper, bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Transfer to two bowls, garnish each with a basil sprig, and serve.