When we originally created this gluten free Chinese recipe featuring noodles, our Junior Editor Viva was 10 years old. Loaded with chicken, broccoli, and flavor, it’s still a favorite even now that she’s a teen.
Shanghai Maifun with Chicken and Broccoli
- 1 8-ounce package maifun rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic very thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons peeled finely grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or canola oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 large carrots peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 green onions white and light green parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or water
Cook the noodles as directed on the package, drain well, toss with the sesame oil, and reserve.
In a large bowl, combine the tamari, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Reserve.
Heat the peanut oil in a wok or deep frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until the meat is just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add the broccoli, carrots, and green onions to the wok and stir-fry, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Add the tamari mixture and chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and noodles. Toss to coat and warm through. Serve.
Photography Lou Leskon