This Thai-style mousse by James Beard Award-winning chef Hiro Sone has gentle kick of spice and a bouncy snap when you bite into it, making it an unexpected and exotic filling for the tender, steamed mushroom base.
- 6 kaffir lime leaves available at Thai and Vietnamese markets
- 1 cup (8 ounces) salmon fillet, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup large scallops about 5
- 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 egg
- 30 shiitake mushrooms each 2 inches in diameter, stems removed
- Kosher salt
Remove the middle vein from the kaffir lime leaves. Chop 2 leaves coarsely and place them in a food processor with the salmon, scallops, coconut, fish sauce, sugar, ginger, and curry paste. Puree until smooth. Add the egg and blend for another 30 seconds. Transfer the mousse to a bowl and chill.
Prepare and preheat a saucepan with a steamer insert. Lightly salt the insides of the mushrooms. Mound and smooth a scoop of mousse inside each mushroom.
Place the mousse-filled mushrooms into the steamer and steam for 5 minutes or until the mousse and the mushrooms are cooked.
Finely julienne the remaining kaffir lime leaves. Transfer the mushroom cups onto a serving platter, sprinkle the kaffir lime over the mousse, and serve.
Photography Maren Caruso