Herb Latkes with Smoked Salmon and Sour Cream
Brighten up the traditional latke with this herby, colorful, gluten-free version. The combo of herbs lends vibrant flavor and contrast to the yummy goodness that is salted, fried potato pancakes
- 2 medium russet potatoes grated
- 1 small yellow onion grated
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Smoked salmon for garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream for garnish
Strain the grated potato and onion in a colander over the sink, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
In a large bowl, mix together the egg, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper to taste, and herbs.
Working in batches, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, gently drop 2-tablespoon mounds of potato mixture into the skillet, pressing gently to flatten. Fry the latkes until crispy, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in the oven. Garnish with smoked salmon, sour cream, and a sprig of dill. Serve.
Recipe Emily Garland / Photography Maren Caruso