Get everything you love about nachos in one glorious bite.
Servings 16 bites
- 1 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle peppers in gluten-free adobo sauce chopped (find in the international foods aisle of well-stocked grocery stores)
- 8 baby bell peppers halved lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed
- 2⁄3 cup shredded Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons Quick-Pickled Onions (below; optional)
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro leaves torn
Place the chicken, paprika, cumin, and salt in a small saucepan. Add 1⁄2 cup water, cover, and cook on low heat until cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate, let cool, and shred.
In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the chopped chipotle.
Preheat the broiler. Fill each pepper half with chicken and a sprinkle of cheese. Arrange the peppers on a baking sheet, cut sides up, and broil 12 inches from the heat source until the peppers soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Top with a dollop of the chipotle mayonnaise and a sprinkle of the pickled onions and cilantro and serve.
In a small bowl, stir together 3⁄4 cup chopped red onion, 1⁄4 cup white vinegar, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar and let sit for at least 15 minutes. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.