This gluten free soba noodles recipe is a simple and easy recipe that will give your mealtime a bit of international flavor and flair.
Soba Noodle Soup with Mushrooms
- 1 4 by 4-inch strip kombu
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushrooms such as shiitake or maitake
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium gluten-free tamari
- 1⁄2 cup sake
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh mushrooms such as shiitake or maitake
- 1 large carrot peeled, halved, and sliced into thin half-moons
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 12 ounces gluten-free buckwheat soba noodles
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil for garnish
- 4 teaspoons toasted white or black sesame seeds for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onions for garnish
- 4 egg yolks for garnish (optional)
Place 5 1⁄2 cups cold water, the kombu, and dried mushrooms into a sealable container and refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
Strain the kombu-mushroom stock into a medium pot and discard the solids. Stir in the tamari and sake and bring the stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the fresh mushrooms and carrot and boil until the mushrooms and carrots are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the spinach and turn off the heat. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the soba noodles and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 8 minutes. Reserve a cup of the soba cooking liquid, then drain the noodles and rinse with cold water. Stir the reserved soba cooking liquid into the pot with the soup.
To serve, divide the soba noodles and soup among four bowls. Garnish each with 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 1 egg yolk.
Recipe Niki Ford
Photographer Alanna Taylor-Tobin