This beautiful one-dish gluten free breakfast is dairy free, too. It’s also fancy enough to serve for brunch yet simple enough to make anytime. Plus, it’s loaded with goodness, so it’s a great way to start the day.
Baked Eggs with Caramelized Onion, Kale, and Smoked Salmon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek white part only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 cups chopped green kale thickest stems removed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs such as Italian parsley and dill (optional)
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 325F. Place oven rack in the middle of the oven.
Heat a 10-inch stainless steel or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, shallot, leek, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and the chili flakes. Cook stirring occasionally until tender and caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the kale and another 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir everything together and add the apple cider vinegar. Cook until the kale is wilted, about 3 minutes.
Using a spoon, make 4 nests and carefully crack the eggs into each cavity. Season the tops of the eggs with the remaining salt and scatter the smoked salmon in the pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the whites are set and the yolks are soft. Remove the pan from oven, garnish with the herbs, radishes, salt, and pepper to taste, and serve.
Photography Aran Goyoaga