If you need an anytime grab-and-go snack, look no further than these wholesome gluten free banana bread muffins. Made without refined sugar, they still taste decadent, thanks to their sweet and crunchy crumble topping.
Gluten-Free Banana Bread Muffins
- FOR THE BATTER:
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons white rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maple crystals or coconut sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup mashed banana (from about 2 very ripe medium bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or sour cream
FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons maple crystals or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free whole rolled oats
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 9 paper muffin liners.
Make the batter: In large bowl, whisk together the white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
In another bowl, whisk together the butter, maple crystals, egg, bananas, vanilla, and buttermilk.
Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold together, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to mix well. Divide the batter evenly in the 9 cups of the prepared muffin tin.
Make the crumble: In a small bowl, mix together the butter, maple crystals, and rolled oats. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the 9 batter-filled cups.
Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring the individual muffins onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Photography Dane Tashima