For the best ceviche, buy the freshest fish possible, ask your fishmonger to remove the skin or bones for you, store your fish on a bed of ice until you use it, and make this gluten free fish dish the day you buy the fish.
- 1 pound firm whitefish fillets, such as red snapper, halibut, flounder, or striped bass, skin and bones removed
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tomato, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 jalapeño chile, sliced paper thin
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Using a very sharp knife, trim and discard any leftover skin or dark parts from the fillets. Slice the fish into 1/2-inch cubes, transfer to a bowl, and refrigerate while prepping the rest of the ingredients.
In a large, nonreactive bowl, combine the lime zest, lime juice, orange juice, tomato, red onion, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, and salt. Toss to combine well. Add the fish, toss, then let sit for 10 to 20 minutes, tossing frequently and making sure the fish is covered by liquid. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Photography Christine Han