Feisty and crunchy Korean pickled cabbage, available at most markets, contrasts with the sweet flavor and delicate texture of scallops in this gluten free fried rice.
Gluten-Free Fried Rice with Scallops and Kimchi
This stir-fry uses rice here (make it ahead of time), but gluten-free noodles tossed with a little oil are equally delicious.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free chili paste or Asian-style hot sauce (optional)
- 1 pound scallops, patted dry
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 cups gluten-free kimchi, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
In a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, mix together the tamari, vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, and the chili paste. Set aside.
When the carrots are ready, add the scallops and the white parts of the green onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the scallops are just cooked through, 2 minutes. Add the kimchi and stir until heated through, 2 minutes.
Whisk the tamari mixture and add it to the wok. Add the rice, mix, and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss to combine and warm. Distribute to dinner plates and garnish with the remaining green onions.
Photography Erin Ng