Gluten-Free Pakoras with Eggplant, Green Tomato, and Cilantro-Mint Raita
These ridiculously addictive (and vegan!) Indian snack fritters is simply eggplant and green tomatoes bound in a curried chickpea-flour batter. But other vegetables, like potatoes and sweet potatoes, can be substituted in these gluten free Indian snacks. FYI, chickpea (aka garbanzo bean) flour is available at well-stocked grocery stores, Indian markets, and online.
Gluten-Free Pakoras with Eggplant and Green Tomato
- 1-1/4 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup eggplant cut into 1-inch-long matchstick
- 1/2 cup seeded unripe tomato cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed stemmed and thinly sliced kale
- 2 tablespoons minced dill, plus leaves for garnish
- Canola oil or sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 recipe Cilantro-Mint Raita (below)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
In a bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, curry powder, cumin, salt, and 1-1/8 cups water. Fold the eggplant, tomato, onion, green onions, kale, and dill into the batter.
Heat ½ inch of oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, then lower the heat to medium. Working in batches, and stirring the batter frequently, carefully drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the oil so they are not touching. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes, flipping halfway through and slightly lowering or raising the heat if needed to ensure the pakoras become golden brown. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with dill leaves, and serve immediately with the raita and lime wedges.
- 1 cup whole-milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely minced mint
- 1 small clove garlic, pounded or grated into a paste
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
NOTE: We only recommend products that we truly LOVE, use, and are confident to recommend. Thanks to affiliate partnership opportunities, we sometimes earn a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site at no cost to you. But this has no influence on what we recommend. When we do score a few shekels, know that your purchase helps support our work to bring you trustworthy, unbiased information on an amazing gluten-free food and lifestyle.
Photography Chelsea McNamara