Gluten-Free Red Cabbage and Fennel Slaw with Horseradish Vinaigrette Recipe
It’s easy to make a great gluten-free coleslaw. But what about an easy gluten-free slaw that stands out as extra special? Also easy–IF you have the right recipe. This one hails from one of our favorite chefs, Niki Ford, who has a knack for turning the everyday into the divine. Make this recipe for yourself and taste just how much better a truly fantastic slaw can be.
Horseradish, fennel, and dill happily join forces in this bold purple slaw to offer a punchy, crunchy counterpoint to other picnic fare.
Servings 6 people
Calories 206 kcal
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 large fennel bulbs trimmed
- 4 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated or cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons finely minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh dill
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish root or 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
In a large bowl, toss the onion with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Let marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Remove the tough outer layer of the fennel bulbs. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, thinly slice the bulbs crosswise.
Add the fennel, cabbage, carrot, parsley, and dill to the bowl of marinated onion. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and lightly massage the mixture with your hands for about a minute to wilt the cabbage a bit. Let the slaw rest for 15 minutes, discarding any liquid that collects in the bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the horseradish and vinegar, then whisk in the olive oil. Toss the slaw with the vinaigrette and the mayonnaise and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 153
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2g13%
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Vitamin A 2650IU53%
Vitamin C 50mg61%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Photo: Maren Caruso