Yam Som-O is a deliciously light meal or first course that is reminiscent of something you find at an exotic spa. This gluten free salad is full of citrusy flavor and a mild garlic kick.
Yam Som-O (Pomelo Salad with Shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 large raw shrimp shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or 2 packed teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 pomelo or 2 grapefruit peeled, supremed (fruit segments sliced out between the membrane and membrane discarded), seeded, and separated into chunks
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 water chestnuts thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted cashews or peanuts for garnish
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)
Warm a small, dry, heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat, add the coconut and toast, stirring, until light brown and fragrant. Immediately remove the coconut from the pan and reserve.
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook until they are no longer translucent, about 30 seconds. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons of the cooking water.
Place the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar in a small nonreactive bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Adjust the seasonings to your preference. Add the shrimp and toss to coat, remove and reserve the shrimp, and transfer the dressing to a large serving bowl.
Add the reserved cooking water, the pomelo, shallot, garlic, water chestnuts, and 1 tablespoon of the coconut. Toss to combine. Top with the shrimp, garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut, the nuts, and the cilantro, and serve.