This flavorful, decadent, and traditional gluten free Japanese side dish combines blanched green onions and seaweed with a slightly sweet, rich, and tangy miso dressing.
Green Onions and Wakame Seaweed with “Nuta” Miso Dressing Gluten-Free Recipe
MAKES 1 CUP
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free red miso paste
- 3 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- Pinch of karashi mustard or hot dry mustard
- 2 bunches green onions, root ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup dried wakame seaweed, hydrated per the package directions
- 1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds
In a small bowl, mix together the egg yolk and miso until smooth. Stir in the mirin, sugar, vinegar, and mustard. Refrigerate the dressing until use.
Have ready a large bowl of ice water. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add the green onions and blanch until tender, 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to the ice water, drain to eliminate all excess liquid, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
In a serving bowl, toss the dressing, onions, seaweed, and sesame seeds until combined and serve.
Photography Emma K. Morris