More of a guideline than an edict, this feast of a grilling recipe is flexible enough that you can stick with the plan or mix and match your own meat and seafood favorites with the accompanying very versatile salsa verde.
Mixed Grill with Salsa Verde Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Finely chopped leaves from 4 sprigs rosemary
- 1 pound swordfish, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 6 jumbo shrimp shells on
- 1 (1-pound, 1-1/2-inch-thick) rib-eye, New York, or T-bone steak
- 1 pound gluten-free sweet Italian sausage links
- 6 lamb chops
- 1 recipe Salsa Verde (below)
Preheat the grill to high. If using wooden skewers, soak the skewers in water for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and rosemary. Reserve.
Thread 3 to 4 cubes of swordfish onto each skewer. Brush with the rosemary oil and season with salt. Brush the remaining rosemary oil onto the shrimp, steak, sausage links, and lamb chops and season with salt.
Working in batches if needed, grill the seafood and meat in one layer, flipping halfway through cooking. Cook the swordfish for about 6 minutes total and the shrimp until opaque, about 5 minutes. Check the steak after about 7 minutes for medium-rare (see the note at left for cooking times) and the sausages after 8 minutes. Lamb chops are medium-rare in 5 minutes; add another 30 seconds if you prefer medium.
To serve, place the mixed grill on a large serving platter or cutting board along with the salsa verde.
- 3/4 cup high-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped, or 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 3/4 cup firmly packed Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients and reserve at room temperature until ready to use.
Photography Chelsea McNamara