Rhubarb makes this gluten free breakfast toast extremely seasonal. But it also makes it a stunner on the plate and the palate. The perky sweet-and-sour rhubarb topping has dessert-crumble flavor, while a vegan cashew spread adds creaminess. Add the crunch of GF toast and you’ve got a breakfast to remember. Plus, extras keep in the fridge for a day or two, so you can have seconds, or even thirds!
Orange-Honey Poached Rhubarb with Cashew Cream on Toast
- 4 stalks of rhubarb about 8 ounces, cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise and seeds scraped (optional)
- 1/2 cup cashew cream see below
- 4 slices of gluten-free crusty bread
- Toasted coconut flakes optional
- Dried rose petals optional
In a skillet, combine the rhubarb, 3 tablespoons water, 2 tablespoons honey, the orange zest and juice, and vanilla bean and cook over high heat until the rhubarb softens, but retains its shape, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and let cool slightly.
Toast the bread.
Spread 2 tablespoons of the cashew cream on top of each piece of toasted bread, then top with the rhubarb. Garnish with toasted coconut and a few rose petals and enjoy.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Place the cashews in a medium bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Let soak overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the cashews in a colander and transfer into a high-speed blender. Add 2/3 cups water and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping the blender and scraping its sides a couple of times, if necessary.
Transfer the cream into a bowl and stir in the lemon zest and juice and salt.
Photography Aran Goyoaga