You’ll get a taste of Spain with this easy gluten free shrimp dish with a tangy smoked-paprika tomato-garlic sauce.
Shrimp in Tomato-Garlic Sauce
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite gluten-free flour mix
- 1½ teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika aka pimentón
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¾ pound fresh or thawed frozen large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 4 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 6 pitted green olives Castelvetrano or Cerignola, quartered lengthwise
- ¾ cup canned diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
In a medium bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, smoked paprika, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, then add them to the bowl and toss to evenly coat the shrimp.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering Add the peppers and garlic slices and cook stirring occasionally, until peppers soften a bit and the garlic is just starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the diced tomatoes and their juices, ¼ cup water, and the lemon juice. Stir in the butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turns bright orange and is cooked through and the sauce thickens, 5 to 6 minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a few tablespoons water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley. Serve immediately.
Photo Erin Ng