Sarah Hornacek of the web’s Sarah Bakes Gluten-Free specializes in recipes free from gluten, dairy, and eggs. These gluten free vegan cookies are almond-flavored jewels with a kiss of coconut and are a testament to her talent.
Gluten-Free Vegan Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup white rice flour or sweet white sorghum flour
- 4 teaspoons tapioca flour or tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup refined coconut oil, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
Sift together the brown rice, white rice, and tapioca flours, potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, and ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the coconut sugar and coconut oil for 2 minutes on high speed. Add the milk, maple syrup, and vanilla and beat 2 minutes longer. Add the flour mixture and mix until a dough comes together. Fold in the almonds to combine.
Roll tablespoon-size scoops of cookie dough into balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet at least 1 inch apart and indent the center of each cookie with your thumb.
Bake for 7 minutes, then carefully place 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon raspberry jam into the center of each cookie and bake 6 minutes longer (they will not have changed color much). Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to harden and cool completely.
Photography Sarah Hornacek