Our twelve-year-old Junior Editor, Viva, says these crispy, tender pan-fried gluten free chicken nuggets taste just as good as McDonald’s (that’s a compliment, in our opinion). Fast to make, they’re also far more wholesome.
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour mix, (we like King Arthur brand)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free onion powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs (we like Ian’s brand)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced crosswise into strips 1/3 inch thick
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or other high-heat cooking oil, plus more if needed
- Gluten-free barbecue sauce, for serving
In a bowl, mix together the flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, and onion powder.
In a small shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg.
Pour the breadcrumbs into another shallow bowl.
Set out a clean plate. One piece at a time, dip the chicken strips into the flour mixture, then the egg, and then the breadcrumbs. Transfer to the plate. Line another clean plate with paper towels.
In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, panfry the chicken strips on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side, adding and heating more oil between batches, if needed. Transfer to the prepared plate. Sprinkle with salt and serve with barbecue sauce.
NOTE: We only recommend products that we truly LOVE, use, and are confident to recommend. Thanks to affiliate partnership opportunities, we sometimes earn a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site at no cost to you. But this has no influence on what we recommend. When we do score a few shekels, know that your purchase helps support our work to bring you trustworthy, unbiased information on an amazing gluten-free food and lifestyle.
Photography Erin Ng