A wonderfully simple yet elegant first course, this bright salad is also great for buffets because the lettuce stays crisp a good, long time.
Chicories Salad with Moscato Vinaigrette, Hazelnuts, and Pomegranate Seeds
- 2 medium fennel bulbs trimmed
- 21/2 tablespoons Moscato or Moscatel vinegar (or champagne or white balsamic vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 cups winter chicories: a mix of endive, curly endive, radicchio, escarole, frisee, or other sturdy, bitter lettuces
- 3 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts roughly chopped
Remove the tough outer layer of each fennel bulb. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, slice the fennel very thinly crosswise.
In a small bowl, whisk the mustard into the vinegar until smooth. Whisk in the olive oil, in a steady stream, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the chicories, arugula, and fennel to a large salad bowl. Dress with the vinaigrette and season with salt and freshly cracked pepper, then sprinkle the salad with the pomegranate seeds and hazelnuts.