This chocolate cherry skillet cookie by our beloved gluten-free baking friend Alanna Taylor-Tobin is so chewy, gooey, fluffy, and delicate, no one will believe it’s gluten- and dairy-free.
Gluten-Free and Dairy Free Chocolate Cherry Skillet Cookie Recipe
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces/1/2 stick) salted vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons firmly packed organic light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate preferably 70% cacao mass
- 1 cup (5 ounces) fresh sweet dark cherries, stemmed, pitted, and halved
- Dairy-free vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350ºF. Place the butter in an 8-inch ovenproof skillet and transfer the skillet to the oven for 1 minute to melt the butter. Swirl the melted butter to coat the bottom and sides of the pan and then pour the butter into a large bowl, reserving the buttered skillet.
Whisk the brown sugar into the hot butter and then whisk in the egg and vanilla. Sift in the sorghum, oat, sweet rice, and tapioca flours and the baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Stir in the chocolate and cherries.
Spread the batter in an even layer in the buttered skillet and bake until a tester comes out with moist crumbs, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm, topped with scoops of ice cream, or at room temperature.
Find more amazing gluten-free recipes in Alanna’s book Alternative Baker: Reinventing Dessert with Gluten-Free Grains and Flours, available here!
Photography Alanna Taylor-Tobin