This elegant appetizer of crab salad and mushrooms marinated in a sweet-and-salty Japanese sauce was inspired by our friend, James Beard Award–winning chef Hiro Sone, who served it atop small blocks of sushi rice. You can make the mushrooms 1 day in advance and reserve in the marinade, covered and refrigerated.
Gluten-Free Endive with Crab Salad and Mirin- Marinated Mushrooms Recipe
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons mirin
- 1/4 teaspoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated garlic
- 36 enoki mushrooms or 12 small cremini mushrooms quartered
- 10 ounces lump crabmeat
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 12 small green or purple Belgian endive leaves
- 12 mini lemon wedges for garnish (optional)
In a small pot, whisk together the tamari, sugar, mirin, ginger, and garlic, then warm over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, about 2 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms to a paper towel to drain.
In a small bowl, mix the crab with just enough mayonnaise to help the crab stick together and not overwhelm the crab flavor.
Arrange the endive leaves on a platter. Add a heaping tablespoon of crab salad to each and top with mushrooms and 1 lemon wedge. Serve immediately.
Photography Christine Han