Gluten free side dishes can help you take a boring entree and make it into an amazing meal with very little additional work.
Indian-Spiced Cauliflower, Potatoes, and Peas
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 1- inch piece fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 serrano chile seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 head cauliflower cored and cut into 1-inch florets
- 12 ounces red potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas thawed
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, turmeric, paprika, and salt.
In a large sauté pan with a lid or a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the ginger and serrano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the garlic and the spice mixture and stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the cauliflower and potatoes and stir to coat everything with the spices. Pour in 3⁄4 cup water while stirring. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes, checking the pan once or twice to be sure the liquid is bubbling, not steaming. (If the pan becomes dry, add 1⁄4 cup water.)
Remove from the heat, stir in the peas, cover, and let stand 5 minutes until the peas are hot and most of the liquid in the pan has been absorbed. If liquid remains, stir the vegetables lightly over medium heat until it’s absorbed. Garnish with cilantro and serve.