Turmeric Chicken and Vegetable Kebabs
This dish’s Southeast Asian sugar-and-spice marinade caramelizes as it cooks, adding luscious flavor and texture to the gluten-free chicken kebabs with turmeric and vegetables.
Turmeric Chicken and Vegetable Kebabs Gluten-Free Recipe
Note: you’ll need 6 skewers, either wooden or metal.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 small garlic clove finely grated or crushed
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of extra fat and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 1 red pepper seeded, stemmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion cut into 1-inch pieces
In a bowl, stir together the turmeric, coriander, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper.
Place the marinade and chicken in a ziplock plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours to let the flavors combine. Meanwhile, soak 6 (6- to 8-inch) wooden skewers in water.
Preheat the grill to medium or heat a grill pan over medium heat. Thread the marinated chicken and the vegetables onto the soaked skewers, dividing everything evenly among them, packing all items tightly, and alternating between chicken and vegetables on each skewer.
Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally to caramelize all sides, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 25 minutes, depending on heat and size of the chicken pieces. Season to taste with salt and serve.
Photography Erin Ng