A mélange of flavors and textures, this superstar gluten-free dinner manages to be indulgent and wholesome, making it one of our new favorite dinnertime go-tos. It’s also easily made vegan or vegetarian by your choice of sausage and broth.
Wine-Braised Lentils with Smoked Sausage and Spinach Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1 cup dried Puy (French green) lentils
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1- pound smoked gluten-free pork, chicken, turkey, or vegetarian sausage, cut diagonally into ½-inch-thick disks
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
In a heavy saucepan, bring the lentils, 4 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are just tender but not soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain the lentils, then add them to the pan with the sausage mixture. Stir in the broth, wine, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are soft and cooked through but not falling apart, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and vinegar. Add the spinach, cover, and cook until the spinach wilts, about 4 minutes. Stir to combine, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Photography Erin Ng