Burmese Ginger Salad
Adapted from the Burma Superstar cookbook, fried garlic, and peanuts and exciting savory tang from the fish sauce–kissed pickled ginger dressing for a perfect gluten free summertime meal.
Ginger Salad Gluten-Free Recipe
For the Dressing:
- 2- inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or unrefined peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free fish sauce or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
For the Salad:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 3 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons seeded and minced jalapeño chile
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Make the dressing: Slice the ginger lengthwise as thinly as you can, then slice it into thin strips and transfer to a small bowl.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir the sugar in the vinegar and 2 tablespoons water until dissolved. Add the vinegar mixture to the bowl of ginger and let cool to room temperature.
In another small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the ginger pickling liquid with the oil, lime juice, fish sauce, and pepper flakes. Adjust the seasoning with more fish sauce, salt, or lime juice, if desired. Add all the pickled ginger, reserving its pickling liquid for another use.
Make the salad: In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the garlic and sauté, stirring often and lowering the heat if it starts to darken too quickly, until the garlic is evenly golden but not quite brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl or a plate and season with a pinch of salt.
Wipe out the same skillet and add the chickpea flour. Toast the flour over medium heat, stirring often with a rubber spatula, until it starts to darken and smell aromatic, about 1 minute. Scrape into a small bowl.
To assemble the salad, mix the lettuce and cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle with the cilantro, fried garlic, and toasted chickpea flour. Sprinkle the peanuts and jalapeño over the salad. Stir the dressing well, drizzle over the salad, toss, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve with lime wedges.
Photography John Lee
NOTE: We only recommend products that we truly LOVE, use, and are confident to recommend. Thanks to affiliate partnership opportunities, we sometimes earn a small commission if you make a purchase through a product link on our site at no cost to you. But this has no influence on what we recommend. When we do score a few shekels, know that your purchase helps support our work to bring you trustworthy, unbiased information on an amazing gluten-free food and lifestyle.