This quick, elegant appetizer has the appeal of a laborious homemade rillette without the hard work. Serve it with radishes, cornichons, Belgian endive leaves, or celery stalks, or spread on GF crackers or toast points and garnish with minced chives.
Creamy Smoked Trout with Radishes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound boneless smoked trout fillets, skins removed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, plus more as needed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped chives, for garnish
- 1 bunch large radishes, trimmed, cut into halves or wedges, and chilled
In a small bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside.
In a separate bowl, flake the trout into small shreds, checking for bones as you flake. When completely shredded, add the shallot mixture and the cream. Using the back of a large spoon, combine and blend until spreadable, about 2 minutes. Add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach your desired consistency. Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and chill until use. Sprinkle with the chives and serve with the radishes and a small bowl of salt for dipping.
Photography Aubrie Pick