Soulful and comforting are the best ways to describe this savory gluten free side dish made with braised Swiss chard and cannellini beans perked up with a kiss of tomato paste. It’s dairy-free and vegan, too!
Braised Swiss Chard with Cannellini Beans
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 pound Swiss chard thick stems chopped and leaves sliced into bite-size strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large sauté pan with a lid or a Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and chard stems. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in the red pepper flakes, cook for 30 seconds, then stir in the tomato paste and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the chard leaves by the handful, letting each addition cook down a bit before adding the next. Stir in the beans. Cover and cook until the greens are very soft, about 10 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.