Here, stovetop simplicity meets the glorious flavor and texture of Vietnamese street food with this gluten free rice bowl recipe.
Gluten-Free Charred Shrimp and Lettuce Rice Bowl
- 3/4 cup white or brown rice
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice plus 2 lime wedges, for garnish
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 14 medium shrimp, tail-on but shelled and deveined
- 1 romaine heart, halved lengthwise through the core
- Gluten-free cooking spray or olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup English cucumber wheels
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped gluten-free roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
Cook the rice as directed on the package.
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Reserve.
Preheat a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Lightly spray the shrimp and cut sides of the lettuce with the cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Char the lettuce, cut side down, in the pan until the leaves are lightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and chop when cool enough to handle.
Add the shrimp to the pan and cook, turning once, until just opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
Divide the rice between two dinner bowls. Top each with equal portions of shrimp, charred lettuce, cucumber, and carrot. Pour over the reserved sauce, sprinkle with some peanuts and cilantro, garnish with a lime wedge, and serve.
Photography Erin Ng