The everyday gluten free chicken sandwich becomes transcendent when loaded with crunchy greens and slathered with savory-herby green goddess mayonnaise. It’s also easily dairy-free if you skip the cheese.
Gluten-Free Chicken Sandwiches with Green Goddess Dressing
For the Green Goddess Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste or 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 cup chopped fresh herbs, any combination of chives, dill, parsley, or basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Sandwiches:
- Olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and pounded very thin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 slices gluten-free bread, toasted (we like Canyon Bakehouse)
- 1 (16-ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 (4-ounce) package sprouts (such as alfalfa, broccoli, or pea)
Make the green goddess mayonnaise: Combine the mayonnaise ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until very well combined with a pale green color.
Make the sandwiches: Preheat a grill pan or an outdoor grill on high heat. Rub a drizzle of olive oil onto both sides of each chicken breast, season generously with salt and pepper, and grill until golden brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Halve any pieces that are too large to fit on a slice of bread. Slather each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon green goddess mayonnaise. Top 8 of the slices with a piece of chicken, a mozzarella slice, cucumber slices, a few lettuce leaves, and some sprouts. Top each stack with one of the remaining bread slices, mayonnaise side down, and gently press down. Wrap each sandwich in parchment for easy transport or eat it on the spot.
Photography Chelsea McNamara