A marinade of peanut butter, olive oil, and spices transforms everyday chicken into an edible event with this truly exceptional grilled peanut butter chicken recipe from one of Portugal’s most beloved chefs, Ljubomir Stanisic. The best part? The marinade does all the work for you, as long as you give it 2 to 6 hours to do its magic.
Grilled Peanut Butter Chicken Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons ras el hanout (a Moroccan spice mix available at well-stocked grocers)
- 4 teaspoons ground dried ginger
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 10 pieces chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 1 cup store-bought gluten-free barbecue sauce (optional)
In a large ziplock plastic bag or casserole dish large enough to snugly fit the chicken, mix together the olive oil, peanut butter, ras el hanout, ground ginger, garlic powder, sugar, salt, and paprika. Add the chicken pieces and mix to thoroughly coat. Seal or cover and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours.
Preheat the grill on medium or a grill pan over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing excess to drip off. Grill the chicken, turning halfway through, until cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes. If desired, baste with barbecue sauce, let cook for 5 minutes more, then serve.
Photography Fabrice Demoulin