The classic gluten free summertime salad gets instantly fancy—and extra fabulous—with a simple drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduced with dried figs.
Heirloom Tomato Salad with Fig-Balsamic Reduction
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, mixed sizes and colors, sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese or bocconcini, torn into bite-sized chunks
- 3 tablespoons good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Fig-Balsamic Reduction (see below)
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 basil leaves, half intact and half thinly sliced
Arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a platter. Top with the cheese. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic reduction, then season with salt and pepper. Garnish with the basil and serve immediately.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried figs
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, honey, and figs and bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has slightly thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Strain the reduction through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract all of the liquid. Discard the solids and serve.
Photography Todd and Meg van der Kruik