Beans slowly simmered with tomatoes, onion, garlic, and an array of seasonings result in an extremely satisfying gluten free side dish that pairs beautifully with sausage, grilled fish, or roast chicken.
Mediterranean Braised Beans Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1 (16-ounce) bag dried lima, fava, or white kidney beans
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup loosely packed Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh oregano, coarsely chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Place the beans in a large pot with a lid and add water several inches to cover. Soak overnight, or to quick soak, bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain.
In the same pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer. Stir in 3 cups water, the beans, the wine, tomatoes, vinegar, parsley, oregano, thyme, paprika, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add 2 teaspoons salt and continue cooking until the beans are tender, 1/2 to 1 hour longer.
Remove the lid and cook until the liquid has reduced and the beans are saucy but not watery, about 15 minutes longer. Remove the bay leaves, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
Photography Ben Mastracco