The idea for a one-dish gluten free hummus party dip came about when I became enthralled with the idea of serving my book club a delicious, dynamic, and filling appetizer that looked impressive, satisfied, and could easily be made from scratch or with store-bought ingredients. Whether you’re hosting or contributing, try this crowd-pleasing party-starter next time you’re feeding a crowd. Bonus: the addition of yogurt is optional; skip it and it’s dairy-free too!—GFF editor Erika Lenkert
Party Hummus with Herbed Olive Oil and Tomatoes
- 1 recipe Classic Hummus (below) or 2 cups store-bought hummus
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt optional
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup drained canned chickpeas optional
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 recipe Herbed Olive Oil (below) or 1/4 cup store-bought pesto
- Pinch of sumac optional
- Gluten-free bagel chips or gluten-free pita chips
- Vegetable strips of choice such as red bell pepper, fennel, and celery
Pour the hummus into a serving bowl or spread on a platter. Spread the yogurt on top in a thin layer. Top with the cucumber, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and the herbed olive oil and sprinkle with sumac.
Serve with chips and vegetable strips.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus more as needed
- 1 clove garlic pressed or grated
- 11/4 teaspoons kosher salt plus more as needed
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, well-drained
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Up to 4 tablespoons cold water
In a food processor, pulse together the lemon juice, garlic, and salt until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas, tahini, cumin, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons cold water and puree until creamy, adding up to 2 tablespoons more cold water as needed to thin the hummus. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and cumin.
Herbed Olive Oil
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh herbs such as parsley, oregano, and basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Mince the herbs. Place them in a small bowl with the olive oil and blend or mix to combine.