This dense, soft, and lightly sweet treat has all the moistness you want from a tasty gluten free breakfast bread. Serve it with Cranberry Coulis and whipped cream or by itself.
Gluten-Free Pear-Cardamom Quick Bread
- 1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons white rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup maple crystals or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe pear, grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 recipe Cranberry Coulis, (optional; below)
- Greek yogurt or whipped cream, for serving (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-1/2 by 4-1/2-inch loaf pan with oil.
In a large bowl, whisk together the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.
In another bowl, whisk together the egg, maple crystals, oil, and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir in the pear and walnuts.
Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring the bread to a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice only when completely cool. Serve with a drizzle of coulis and a dollop of yogurt or whipped cream.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook until the cranberries begin to break down, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the solids, cool completely, and serve.
Photography Dane Tashima