This potent, easygoing gluten-free batch cocktail by Erin Ng packs a wallop, thanks to its generous amount of pisco (brandy made in Chile and Peru of fermented grape juice). Its sweetness is offset by soda water, which also adds a light effervescence.
Pisco Punch Gluten-Free Recipe
- 750- milliliter bottle pisco, preferably Barsol brand, chilled
- 2-1/2 cups cold grapefruit juice
- 1 recipe Lemon Syrup (see below)
- 10 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- Block of ice (see note above)
- 3 cups 24 ounces cold soda water
- 1 grapefruit, sliced into wheels
In a punch bowl, mix together the pisco, grapefruit juice, and lemon syrup. Between your hands, pat the basil leaves to release their aroma, slice them into quarter-inch strips, and add to the punch. Add the ice, gently stir in the soda water, garnish with basil leaves and grapefruit wheels, and serve.
- 8 to 10 lemons
- 1 cup sugar
Squeeze 1 cup lemon juice from the lemons, reserving the juice and 8 of the squeezed lemon halves. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the juice and sugar, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, add the reserved lemon halves, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer the syrup to a bowl, let cool for 20 minutes, then strain into a container.
Photography Emma K. Morris