The season for spot or striped prawns is short, but the sweet rewards of this prawns with celery-fennel salad is worth the effort of seeking them out this spring. The head is where all of the flavor is, so cook the shrimp whole, and be sure to buy only extra-fresh shrimp. Can’t find spot or striped prawns? Use deveined whole shrimp, ideally with heads on.
Prawns with Celery-Fennel Salad Gluten-Free Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound spot or striped prawns or shrimp
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, thinly shaved, and 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fronds, for garnish
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced, with leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
In a large skillet over high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and cook the prawns, 1 minute per side. Transfer to a plate.
Combine the fennel, celery, and cucumber in a medium bowl. Mix in the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and garnish with fennel fronds and celery leaves. Serve the prawns with the salad.
Photography Aran Goyoaga