Starring spinach, avocado, and berries with crunchy almonds and a tangy-sweet dressing, this is a crowd-pleasing, colorful, gluten free salad is great for cookouts and brunches, though it’s so good, it could easily end up in regular dinner rotation.
Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing and Berries
- 1-1/2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs, such as basil, mint, and cilantro
- 1 avocado, sliced very thin
- 1 cup mixed fresh berries, such as sliced strawberries and whole blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, sugar, shallot, salt, and dry mustard. Whisk until emulsified. Add the poppy seeds and whisk to incorporate.
In a large bowl, combine the spinach and herbs. Toss with dressing to taste.
Arrange the spinach mixture on a large platter, top with the avocado, berries, and almonds. Serve immediately.
Photography Todd and Meg van der Kruik