This gluten free chicken recipe combines sour cream and hungarian paprika with stir-fried chicken and brown rice for a tasty, wholesome dinner choice.
Creamy Paprika Chicken with Brown Rice Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1 (1-pound) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into slices about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika (sweet or hot), divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream or coconut cream
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
In a bowl, combine the chicken slices with 1 tablespoon of the paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a few grindings of pepper and toss to coat.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, add the chicken, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
Rewarm the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the onion, and the peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the chicken, bay leaf, chicken broth, and the remaining 1 tablespoon paprika, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the sour cream, and season with salt and pepper. Serve over the rice and garnish with parsley, if using.
Photography Erin Ng