Gluten-free, dairy-free, and totally delicious, these three-bite potato pancakes go down easy, so make more gluten free latkes than you think you’ll need!
If you’re not worried about dairy and want to save time, you can sub sour cream mixed with horseradish for the cashew cream.
- 2 medium russet potatoes peeled
- 1/2 small yellow onion shredded or 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour blend
- 11/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Neutral oil for frying such as safflower, canola, or vegetable
- 1 cup Horseradish Cashew Cream see below or sour cream (if you’re okay with dairy)
- 1 ounce caviar of choice for serving
- Chives sliced, for serving
Shred the potatoes on either a box grater or a mandoline fitted with a shredder attachment. Transfer to a bowl with enough cold water to cover the potatoes.
In a large bowl, combine the onion, egg, flour, and salt. Drain the potatoes well, then mix them into the onion mixture until incorporated.
Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet. Test for oil readiness: drop in a small piece of potato; if it sizzles, the oil is hot enough. Working in batches and using tongs, drop about 2 tablespoons of the potato mixture into the hot oil and lightly flatten. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. If the latkes start to get dark too fast, lower the heat. Transfer each cooked latke onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and keep warm in a 200℉ degree oven or serve immediately topped with Horseradish Cashew Cream, caviar, and chives.
Vegan Horseradish Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 5 hours or overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Place the cashews, horseradish, salt, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water in a blender or food processor. Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth, adding more water, one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is a creamy, spoonable consistency.
Recipe Oliva Mack McCool
Photography Heami Lee