This satisfying, light, and lemony gluten free chicken meal can easily be made vegan if you swap the chicken for tofu, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth, and skip the butter. Here it’s served with brown rice, but mashed potatoes or gluten-free pasta is also super-tasty.
Lemon-Braised Chicken, Artichokes, and Green Beans Gluten-Free Recipe
- 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, halved and sliced into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 (14-ounce) can large whole artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice, hot
Juice 1 lemon. Slice the other lemon into very thin rounds. Reserve the juice and rounds separately.
In a large skillet over high heat, warm the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then brown on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and oregano, and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the reserved lemon juice and lemon slices and cook, scraping any browned bits from the skillet bottom with a wooden spoon, until the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the broth and green beans and simmer over medium heat, 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and artichoke hearts and simmer until the chicken is tender and the liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the butter and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve over the rice.
Photography Erin Ng