Hearty and loaded with good stuff, this seductive vegan gluten free salad satisfies as a meal or a side.
Lentil and Roasted Squash Salad with Bitter Greens and Spiced Pumpkin Seeds Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1 2-pound red kuri squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/8 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 cup black or French lentils, rinsed
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups bitter greens (such as mustard, dandelion, or arugula)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free whole-grain mustard
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Halve the squash lengthwise, remove and discard the seeds and membrane, and cut the squash into 1-inch-thick wedges. Transfer the wedges to a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, a few grindings of pepper, the coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin. Toss to coat. Bake until tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Salt generously, add the lentils, and cook until soft but still a little toothsome, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, then spread them on a plate. Set aside.
Set out a large piece of parchment paper. In a dry sauté pan over medium heat, toast the pumpkin seeds, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the sugar, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cumin, the chili powder, and a generous pinch of salt. Stir until the sugar is melted and coats the pumpkin seeds. Spread the seeds on the parchment paper and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine the lentils, greens, mustard, and a drizzle of olive oil and toss to coat. Transfer to a platter, top with the roasted squash and pumpkin seeds, and serve.
Photography Aran Goyoaga