With the luscious, savory richness of gluten-free miso, the comfort of rice noodles, and an abundance of vegetables, this gluten free soup with noodles is one seriously satisfying meal.
Miso Noodle Soup with Broccoli Gluten-Free Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil. plus more for serving
- 1 large bunch green onions. sliced, white and green parts separated
- 1 large carrot. peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup gluten-free white miso
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 4 ounces gluten-free rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
In a small soup pot over medium-high heat, warm both oils. Add the white parts of the green onions, the carrot, and a few pinches of salt and cook, stirring often, until the carrot softens a bit, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened and taken on a bit of color, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Add 6 cups of water, the tamari, and miso. Bring to a boil, stirring often to incorporate the miso into the water. Lower the heat, stir in the broccoli and the noodles, and simmer until the noodles soften and the broccoli is bright green, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodles. Season to taste with salt, tamari, and sesame oil.
Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the reserved green onions and sesame seeds, and serve.
Photography Erin Ng