The perfect way to use up an abundance of fresh summer produce, this gluten-free recipe is a very quick way to add a lot of flavor to crunchy cucumbers. Other vegetables work too–beans, hot peppers, carrot strips. The pickles are a great addition to sandwiches and salads, but they’re also amazing right out of the jar!
Slice some cukes, make a quick brine, cool and refrigerate. Pickles will be ready to enjoy in a few hours.
- 5-6 fresh, small cucumbers ("cukes"), with thin skins
- 1/4 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 small sweet red pepper thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 cup vinegar, any kind (we like a mix of champagne and red wine vinegars)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
Slice the cukes and place them in two pint-sized mason jars.
Add the sliced red onion, sliced sweet peppers and garlic cloves to the jars. Try to fill the jars completely.
Make the brine: In a saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, celery seed and red pepper flakes.
Bring the mixture to a simmer and pour over the vegetables to fill the jar.
Let cool, cover and store in fridge for at least a few hours.
Photography Cindy Rice