The following recipe is from The Foreign Cinema Cookbook, by Gayle Pirie and John Clark, published by ©2018 Abrams. While it’s not entirely gluten-free, a lot of it is, and all the recipes are superb.
Tomato Cucumber Gazpacho Gluten-Free Recipe
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes such as Early Girls, diced
- 1 cup (140 g) chopped, peeled, and seeded English cucumber, plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped cucumber, for garnish
- 1/2 cup (75 g) diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup (35 g) diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatoes, 1 cup (140 g) of the cucumber, the bell pepper, red onion, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes and blend on high speed until the mixture is smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste and add more vinegar or salt, if you like.
Refrigerate the gazpacho in an airtight container for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours before serving.
To serve, ladle the gazpacho into chilled bowls, drizzle with oil, and top with the finely chopped cucumber.
Photography Ed Anderson