Combining the delicious caramelized flavor of roasted garlic with creamy pureed white beans results in gorgeous flavor depth for this easy, elegant gluten-free, vegan bean dip recipe. Serve this bean dip with whatever you like. It’s good enough to spoon straight from the bowl!
Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip with Vegetables
- 2 heads garlic
- Sunflower oil or other neutral-flavored cooking oil
- 1 13-ounce jar or can cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for garnish
- Gluten-free crackers for serving
- Assorted bite-size vegetables such as endive leaves, snap peas, and thinly sliced watermelon radish and purple daikon rounds, for serving
Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 350ºF. Cut off and discard the top third of each head of garlic. Place the garlic heads cut side up on a small baking pan. Drizzle the cut sides with a little sunflower oil and roast until golden and tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool.
Squeeze or peel the cloves from their husks. Place the roasted garlic in a blender or food processor. Add the beans, zest of 1/2 lemon, juice of the whole lemon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, the olive oil, and 1 tablespoon water. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as needed. Add more water as needed for your desired consistency. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and chill at least 1 hour to meld the flavors.
To serve, top the dip with a swirl of olive oil and some freshly cracked pepper, and serve with crackers and sliced vegetables alongside.
Photography Emma K. Morris